Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Hiroshima Story by Toshi Maruki.

The Hiroshima Story by Toshi Maruki.  Hardcover book published 1985.


Whilst searching for books of interest, I mostly look at books that are not of interest.  It’s hard to explain how I decide on what is an interesting book… and more importantly how I decide if something is interesting and sellable.  Often it’s based on the title and cover… a title I know is always of interest (as long as it’s interesting) or something with an interesting title and/or cover that I don’t know, is also of interest (as long as it’s interesting) (?).  All of this takes place at a fairly steady pace… sometimes a frantic pace.  So I was looking through some kids books the other day and I find this title.  It stopped me dead… my perusing pace ground to a complete holt.  The bombing of Hiroshima and a childrens book is not something I usually associate together.  Now I’m not a parent and therefore, I’m certainly no expert on parenting, but I can’t even begin to imagine how a child would react to this story.

The artist/author writes … “this book is my legacy to grandchildren everywhere”, so it is definitely written for children.  These illustrations are stunning and I would even go so far as to say that they are beautiful.  This book had me perplexed and intrigued so much so that when I saw it, I had to buy even though I think that it will be a hard sell.  All of what I’ve written above is why I think this book is of interest, that is: It is unusual, it has great illustrations and it will be a challenge to sell.



Interestingly the book is in pretty good condition.  I’ve written about childrens books before and the amount of wear that is often present with these tomes.  This one appears to have been barely read.  I think I know why this is.

“So Timmy, what would you like to read tonight?  Thomas the Tank Engine or The Hiroshima Story.”

Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment