Thursday, November 18, 2010

Man Eats Man: The Story of Cannibalism.

Man Eats Man: The Story of Cannibalism by Mick Anglo. Hardcover book published 1979.


First of all… what’s with the Gothic Script… its not only on the dust jacket, its on the cover spine as well.  I think this is meant to give the book a spooky “olde worlde” tone.  Just look at that cover illustration… that’s spooky, creepy and why are they naked?  Well I guess that’s why you buy the book… to learn everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Cannibalism.  I mean… you know… I’ve often wondered, do we really taste like chicken?  I’ll check the index for “chicken”… there is no index… which is unfortunate as I was hoping to find a few recipes listed in the index, that I could share with you ala Laraine Leyland… but we are out of luck… although Laraine’s Mince Meat recipe doesn’t really indicate what sort of meat !!!

Well moving along, this book was written by a British cartoonist Mick Anglo the creator of Marvelman (… I don’t think Marvelman was a cannibal, but I could be wrong).  The book has some great photographs and illustrations and overall except for the gothic script, I think it looks quite tasty.  Mick seems to have dished up all the evil history in this study of “man’s darker nature”, including some of the 20th century’s darkest moments.  If I had to criticize his book I would say it’s a little short (164 pages) and being so short it leaves us hungry for more.  So who would by this book?  … anyone who has ever wondered, do we really taste like chicken? …or somebody you don’t want to ‘meat’ in a dark alley.  Bon Appétit.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this humble blog reader has been amazed by the number of puns about eating you were able to cook up!

    ReplyDelete