Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Medicine of Australian Mammals, edited by Larry Vogelnest and Rupert Woods.

Medicine of Australian Mammals, edited by Larry Vogelnest and Rupert Woods. Hardcover book (no dust jacket) with pictorial boards published by CSIRO Publishing 2010 (reprint with corrections), 686 pages with some black and white photographs and illustrations.



In Medicine of Australian Mammals, more than 30 experts present the most current information available on the medical management of all taxa of Australian native mammals.”

Ever wondered what to do with a sick platypus? I haven't... and I reasonably expect that I will never have to. But if a poorly looking Monotrementa ever does knock on my door, I do have this book which may or may not aid me on the long journey to fixing up an Ornithorhynchus anatinus. It would be a learning curve... but realistically, this book is not meant for non veterinarian personages such as myself. I can imagine someone with a background in fixing dogs, cats and possibly budgies, taking the plunge into Australian wildlife fixing with the aid of this book and an educated guess after a quick perusal, leads me to believe that this is for whom this weighty tome is written for.

The book is slightly technical and it does have detailed photographs that are a little to detailed for this hands off non medical (and slightly squemish) practitioner. I guess if a Monotrementa ever does knock, I will redirect them to an appropriate medical practitioner and preferably one that has purchased this book... or if it hasn't sold, I will allow them to have a quick look and see if they can figure out what the problem is.

No comments:

Post a Comment